Shiv Agarwal

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A tribute to my barber!

Thu Jul 07 2005, 1232am

This may sound absurd to most, but what the heck, this is my blog and I think this deserves a mention, so here it is!

I went for my monthly ritual today, a haircut. And for the half an hour or so that I usually spend there inclusive of waiting time I am generally flipping through pages of the latest issue of Filmfare. That half an hour is the time when I give myself a dose of filmi gossip! My barber (wish I had a name for him) earlier also had Sportstar on his stands, which was my first choice, but I guess they were either not too popular or simply got unaffordable!

However today it was not Filmfare that kept me occupied. Remembered all the times that I have visited him and how well he knew me. Most of my friends probably change barbers every other time (I dont know for sure, coz we dont discuss tht!) I have not been that fortunate or unfortunate.

His grand dad cut my grand dad's hair, his dad cut my dad's hair and as tradition would have it, first father and then son, cut my hair!

Remembered the time when I accompanied my Dad on the scooter on a Sunday morning for a haircut. I was so short then that he had to put an extra plank on the arm rests and then would make me sit on it, so that I could see myself in the mirror!

Most of my realisations of growing up have been in his small little shop. First it was the freedom from the plank, seriously it made me feel like such a kid! Then the first time that I went for a hair cut alone! Oh man, I was a big boy! Dad and I now always went separately for the haircut. He would still go on the scooter and I had my own cycle! Then there was the first time he gave me a shave. I remember feeling so odd asking him to do that! After all I had grown up in front of him, literally!

Remembered the time when he gave me my first haircut after I had those 8 stitches removed from the back of my head. He was so careful not to hurt me, and till date he remembers the spot so well that I have never had to tell him to be careful in that region. He just did it so naturally! And especially the time when in school I kept insisting that he cuts it even shorter lest my khadoos Class Teacher or those idiotic Prefects (I joined tht gang later!) find it long :)

And now, after a 23 year long association, for the first time I shook hands with him. Told him whenever I am back in Pune next, I will plan it in such a way that I need a haircut then. :)

Will have to find a new barber in Delhi ... oh man what a thing to worry about!!!!! But for somebody for whom this change comes once in 23 years its worth a mention!

-S



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home